Skip to Main Content
Geologic and tributary influences on the chemistry of a headwater streamAuthor(s): Alexander C. Wooten; James Preer; Pamela J. Edwards
Source: Res. Pap. NE-708. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 7 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (320.93 KB)
DescriptionWater samples were collected weekly from June 12 to August 14, 1995, from Big Spring Run (BSR) in West Virginia. BSR originates in Big Spring Cave, where three stream samples were collected. In addition, 18 BSR sites were sampled downstream from the cave, three from its tributaries, and one above and below the stream?s confluence with Elklick Run. Along its length (653 m), the geology is Greenbrier limestone in the headwaters, Pocono sandstone in the midsection and Hampshire sandstone and shale in the downstream section. As a result, water chemistry was strongly influenced by biogeochemical and hydrologic processes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWooten, Alexander C.; Preer, James; Edwards, Pamela J. 1999. Geologic and tributary influences on the chemistry of a headwater stream. Res. Pap. NE-708. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 7 p.
KeywordsBiogeochemistry, cavewater, cations, anions, pH
- Influence of bedrock geology and tree species composition on stream nitrate concentrations in mid-Appalachian forested watersheds
- Growth and forage quality of four southern browse species
- Rooting common and cat greenbrier
XML: View XML