Skip to Main Content
Characterizing Virginia's private forest owners and their forest lands.Author(s): Thomas W. Birch; Sandra S. Hodge; Michael T. Thompson
Source: Res. Pap. NE-707. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 10 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (93.6 KB)
DescriptionA recently completed forest inventory and two woodland owner surveys have given us insight about the owners of private forest lands in Virginia. There is increasing parcelization of forested lands and an increase in the number of nonindustrial private (NIPF) landowners in Virginia. More than half of the private owners have harvested timber from their holdings at some time in the past, and they control three-quarters of the private forests. Owners have a positive attitude toward timber cutting at a time when there is greater demand for products from the forest. In terms of decision making, private forest owners have control over marketed and non-marketed commodities. This situation needs monitoring to maintain good stewardship for future generations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirch, Thomas W.; Hodge, Sandra S.; Thompson, Michael T. 1998. Characterizing Virginia''s private forest owners and their forest lands. Res. Pap. NE-707. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 10 p.
Keywordsnumber of nonindustrial private (NIPF) landowners, Virginia, NIPF
- Characterizing Virginia's Private Forest Owners and Their Forest Lands
- Private forest owners of the Central Hardwood Forest
- The forest-land owners of West Virginia
XML: View XML