Skip to Main Content
Silvicultural decisionmaking in an uncertain climate future: a workshop-based exploration of considerations, strategies, and approachesAuthor(s): Maria K. Janowiak; Christopher W. Swanston; Linda M. Nagel; Christopher R. Webster; Brian J. Palik; Mark J. Twery; John B. Bradford; Linda R. Parker; Andrea T. Hille; Sheela M. Johnson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-81. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (552.94 KB)
DescriptionLand managers across the country face the immense challenge of developing and applying appropriate management strategies as forests respond to climate change. We hosted a workshop to explore silvicultural strategies for addressing the uncertainties surrounding climate change and forest response in the northeastern and north-central United States. Outcomes of this workshop included identification of broad management strategies and approaches for creating forests that can adapt to rapidly changing conditions. Four themes were prevalent in the discussion of coping with climatic change: recognize relationships between site conditions and species vulnerability, maintain and increase diversity, increase discussion about assisted migration, and place a greater emphasis on monitoring. In this paper, we draw on the workshop to outline a process for presenting information and engaging land managers in discussion of forest management challenges in an era of climate uncertainty.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJanowiak, Maria K.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Nagel, Linda M.; Webster, Christopher R.; Palik, Brian J.; Twery, Mark J.; Bradford, John B.; Parker, Linda R.; Hille, Andrea T.; Johnson, Sheela M. 2011. Silvicultural decisionmaking in an uncertain climate future: a workshop-based exploration of considerations, strategies, and approaches. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-81. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p.
Keywordsclimate change, forest management, adaptation, silviculture
- Integrating climate change considerations into forest management tools and training
- Workshop approach for developing climate change adaptation strategies and actions for natural resource management agencies in the United States
- Implementing climate change adaptation in forested regions of the United States
XML: View XML