Skip to Main Content
Synthesis and evaluation of dioctylaminoborate in wood for brown rot decay protectionAuthor(s): George C. Chen; Rebecca E. Ibach
Source: Proceedings, one hundred sixth annual meeting of the American Wood Protection Association ... Savannah, Georgia, May 23-25, 2010: volume 106. Birmingham, Ala. : American Wood Protection Association, c2010: p. 134-138.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (120.43 KB)
DescriptionThis study evaluated dioctylaminoborate in wood for fungal decay protection Dioctylaminoborate was synthesized by refluxing dioctylamine and boric acid in 1:1 molar ratio in ethanol for 4 h. The product was characterized by proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrophotometry (1H-NMR) and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometry (FTIR). Dioctylaminoborate prevented decay in loblolly pine (Pinus Teada L.) by the brown rot fungus, Gloeophyllum trabeum (Gt). The leached specimens with chemical retention of 12.6% had weight loss of 1% by Gt. The non-leached specimens with chemical retention of 3.3% had weight loss of 0% by Gt. The control had a weight loss of 51.1% by Gt. Leaching of treated blocks decreased decay resistance to Gt, which required 12.6% to be effective.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, George C.; Ibach, Rebecca E. 2010. Synthesis and evaluation of dioctylaminoborate in wood for brown rot decay protection. In: Proceedings, One hundred sixth annual meeting of the American Wood Protection Association. 2010 May 23-25: Savannah, GA. Volume 106. Birmingham, AL: American Wood Protection Association, c2010: p. 134-138.
KeywordsWood preservatives, borates, boron, leaching, brown rot, wood-decaying fungi, wood biodegradation, fungicides, wood deterioration, biodegradation, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, Gloeophyllum trabeum, preserved wood, wood preservation, loblolly pine, dioctylaminoborate, preservative treated wood, treated wood, boron compounds, preservative treatment, wood decay, biocides, decay resistance, synthesis, decay fungi, impregnation, preservatives, fungicidal properties, fungal decay protection, synthesis
- Laboratory evaluation of borate/amine/zinc formulations for fungal decay protection
- Laboratory evaluation of borate:amine:copper derivatives In wood for fungal decay protection
- In situ thermal condensation of glucose-diammonium phosphate in wood for fire and fungal decay protection
XML: View XML