Skip to Main Content
Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2008Author(s): David McKeever
Source: [Tacoma, WA] : Wood Products Council/Wood Works, 2010: 47 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (519.03 KB)
DescriptionLow-rise nonresidential building construction is an important market for lumber, structural wood panels, nonstructural wood panels, and engineered wood products in the United States. This report examines low-rise nonresidential buildings of four or fewer stories only. Buildings with five or more stories are normally severely restricted by building code from being wood framed. In 2008, 1,758 million board feet of lumber, 56 million board feet of glulam timber, 2,677 million square feet, 3/8-in. basis, of structural panels, 79 million square feet, 3/8-in. basis of constructural panels, 68 million linear feet of wood I-joists, and 4 million cubic feet of structural composite lumber were used to construct nearly 84,400 new buildings or additions, and in the alterations and renovations of numerous existing buildings. Volumes include allowances for onsite waste and loss. Not included are the amounts of wood used for facilitation (concrete forms, shoring, etc.) and millwork. Farm construction and nonbuilding construction, such as bridges, dams, and highways, were not included in this study. Overall consumption of all wood products increased substantially over amounts reported in 2003.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcKeever, David B. 2010. Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2008. [Tacoma, WA] : Wood Products Council/Wood Works, 2010. 47 p.
KeywordsSupply, demand, supply balance, market surveys, United States, wooden-frame builidngs, wooden buildings, forest products, statistics, economic aspects, wood utilization, forest products industry, wood products, marketing, wood construction
- Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2003
- A profile of the nonresidential nonbuilding construction market for lumber and plywood
- Wood products and other building materials used in new residential construction in Canada, with comparison to previous studies
XML: View XML