Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An evaluation of three growth and yield simulators for even-aged hardwood forests of the mid-Appalachian regionAuthor(s): John R. Brooks; Gary W. Miller
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 23-32.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (559.63 KB)
DescriptionData from even-aged hardwood stands in four ecoregions across the mid-Appalachian region were used to test projection accuracy for three available growth and yield software systems: SILVAH, the Forest Vegetation Simulator, and the Stand Damage Model. Average root mean squared error (RMSE) ranged from 20 to 140 percent of actual trees per acre while RMSE ranged from 2 to 65 percent of actual basal area per acre (BAAC), depending on thinning category and dataset. Overall, SILVAH produced the smallest average error across all datasets and thinning categories, although significant improvement in projection accuracy is deemed feasible.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrooks, John R.; Miller, Gary W. 2011. An evaluation of three growth and yield simulators for even-aged hardwood forests of the Mid-Appalachian region. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 23-32.
- Validation of SILVAH for tolerant hardwoods in Ontario
- A methodology for translating positional error into measures of attribute error, and combining the two error sources
- Calibration and validation of the relative differenced Normalized Burn Ratio (RdNBR) to three measures of fire severity in the Sierra Nevada and Klamath Mountains, California, USA
XML: View XML