Skip to Main Content
Integrated least-cost lumber grade-mix solverAuthor(s): U. Buehlmann; R. Buck; R.E. Thomas
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 83-91.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (96.85 KB)
DescriptionHardwood lumber costs account for up to 70 percent of the total product costs of U.S. secondary wood products producers. Reducing these costs is difficult and often requires substantial capital investments. However, lumber-purchasing costs can be minimized by buying the least-cost lumber grade-mix that satisfies a company's component needs. Price differentials between National Hardwood Lumber Association lumber quality classes (grades) change based on market pricing and thus a different least-cost lumber grade-mix solution may be obtained at different times. The U.S. Forest Service's ROMI free rough mill simulation package contains a least-cost grade-mix solver that allows hardwood lumber processors to find the least-cost lumber grade mix. This software, however, currently requires calculations performed on a Forest Service server using the SAS statistical package. R, a new open-source statistical software package similar to SAS, allows the least-cost lumber grade-mix solver to run on the users' computer without a connection to a Forest Service server. Use of the program is thus simplified, and company information is kept confidential.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBuehlmann, U.; Buck, R.; Thomas, R.E. 2011. Integrated least-cost lumber grade-mix solver. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 83-91.
- ROMI 3.1 Least-cost lumber grade mix solver using open source statistical software
- Rough mill simulator version 3.0: an analysis tool for refining rough mill operations
- Product costing guide for wood dimension and component manufacturers
XML: View XML