Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of erosion and sedimentation associated with tracked vehicle trainingAuthor(s): Jackie F. Crim; Jon E. Schoonover; Karl W.J. Williard; John W. Groninger; James J. Zaczek; Charles M. Ruffner
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 375-388.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (275.36 KB)
DescriptionA project was designed to assess erosion and sedimentation associated with tracked vehicle training in the Ft. Knox Military Reservation in Kentucky. The project provided an extensive physical and biotic characterization of the training area, including hydrology, water quality, soils, and vegetation. To determine any changes in channel morphology, cross sections were established and surveyed in June 2008 and 2009 in the four stream channels. All four sampled streams experienced net erosion, losing between 0.31 and 44.45 m3 of sediment a year. Otter Creek, the final receiving stream for the training areas, was sampled weekly from March 2008 through December 2008 just before it entered the training area and upon exiting the training area. Stream TSS concentrations were greater exiting compared to entering the training area. Results will provide baseline data to assist in the development of a plan for sustainable management of the training areas.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrim, Jackie F.; Schoonover, Jon E.; Williard, Karl W.J.; Groninger, John W.; Zaczek, James J.; Ruffner, Charles M. 2011. Evaluation of erosion and sedimentation associated with tracked vehicle training. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 375-388.
- Soil erosion and management activities on forested slopes
- Recent findings related to measuring and modeling forest road erosion
- Rill erosion rates in burned forests
XML: View XML