Skip to Main Content
Roundwood markets and utilization in West Virginia and OhioAuthor(s): Shawn T. Grushecky; Jan Wiedenbeck; Ben Spong
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 545-558.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (489.03 KB)
DescriptionWest Virginia and Ohio have similar forest resources and extensive forest-based economies. Roundwood is harvested throughout this central Appalachian region and supports a diverse primary and secondary forest products sector. The objective of this research was to investigate the utilization of the forest resource harvested in West Virginia and Ohio. Utilization and market data were collected on 30 active timber harvests in 2008 in West Virginia and 9 active harvests in 2009 in Ohio. Results indicated that the average number of roundwood markets to which loggers transported materials from these 39 harvest sites was 2.4. The main markets supplied were saw logs and softwood pulp in West Virginia and saw logs in Ohio. The overall average utilization achieved at these 39 sites was 82 percent. The utilization rate averaged 80 percent for logging operations with only one or two markets and 85 percent for operations hauling products to three or more markets. The highest utilization rates were measured for pine and yellow-poplar while the lowest rates were for cherry and lower-density hardwood species. Differences exist in the characteristics of roundwood markets utilized by logging operators in Ohio and West Virginia. These results demonstrate the impact that the number and nature of markets have on log utilization at harvest sites.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrushecky, Shawn T.; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Spong, Ben. 2011. Roundwood markets and utilization in West Virginia and Ohio. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 545-558.
- Examination of regional hardwood roundwood markets in West Virginia
- Examination of roundwood utilization rates in West Virginia
- An Examination of Regional Hardwood Roundwood Markets in West Virginia
XML: View XML