Skip to Main Content
Maine's forests 2008Author(s): George L. McCaskill; William H. McWilliams; Charles J. Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Mark A. Hatfield; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Randall S. Morin; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS- 48. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 62 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (17.5 MB)
DescriptionThe second annual inventory of Maine's forests was completed in 2008 after more than 3,160 forested plots were measured. Forest land occupies almost 17.7 million acres, which represents 82 percent of the total land area of Maine. The dominant forest-type groups are maple/beech/yellow birch, spruce/fir, white/red/jack pine, and aspen/white birch. Statewide volume equals 25.5 billion ft3, resulting from nearly 590 million ft3 of live-tree volume grown each year. The report also contains additional information on sustainability, biomass, carbon, forest health, land-use change, and timber products. The DVD includes detailed information on forest inventory methods, quality of estimates found, and tables forest statistics.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCaskill, George L.; McWilliams, William H.; Barnett, Charles J.; Butler, Brett J.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Morin, Randall S.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2011. Maine's forests 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS- 48. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 62 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, biomass, carbon, forest health
- Proceedings of the ninth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference, August 22-23, 1969.
- The Germination of Several Tree Species in Plastic Greenhouses
- Proceedings of the Eighth Lake States Forest Tree Improvement conference, Sept. 12-13, 1967.
XML: View XML