Skip to Main Content
1998 data bank for kiln-dried red oak lumberAuthor(s): Charles J. Gatchell; R. Edward Thomas; Elizabeth S. Walker
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-245. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 60 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (1.45 MB)
DescriptionA collection of 3,487 fully described, kiln-dried red oak boards totaling 20,021 board feet. The boards, which are straight or contain no more than ? inch of crook, are FAS, FAS ONE FACE (F1F), Selects, No. 1 Common, No. 2A Common, or No. 3A common. The boards were graded with the UGRS (Ultimate Grading and Remanufacturing System) computer program. After the grade was determined, the maximum grading surface in the maximum number of grading cuttings was determined to allow studies of quality within lumber grades. Written for researchers and industry decision makers who may have only a limited knowledge of the NHLA grades, the data bank contains a limited description of factors affecting the grades. The computer program MAKEFILE is included to allow the user to create data files of smaller samples from the full data bank.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGatchell, Charles J.; Thomas, R. Edward; Walker, Elizabeth S. 1998. 1998 data bank for kiln-dried red oak lumber. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-245. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 60 p.
KeywordsLumber data bank, hardwood lumber grades, grading, board quality, UGRS, ROMI-RIP, ROMI-CROSS, simulation
- 1992 Data Bank for Red Oak Lumber
- Data bank for short-length red oak lumber
- Quality Characteristics of Appalachian Red Oak Lumber
XML: View XML