Skip to Main Content
Synthesis, Chapter 19Author(s): L.H. Pardo; L.H. Geiser; M.E. Fenn; C.T. Driscoll; C.L. Goodale; E.B. Allen; J.S. Baron; R. Bobbink; W.D. Bowman; C.M. Clark; B. Emmett; F.S. Gilliam; T. Greaver; S.J. Hall; E.A. Lilleskov; L. Liu; J.A. Lynch; K. Nadelhoffer; S.S. Perakis; M.J. Robin-Abbott; J.L. Stoddard; K.C. Weathers
Source: In: Pardo, L.H.; Robin-Abbott, M.J.; Driscoll, C.T., eds. Assessment of Nitrogen deposition effects and empirical critical loads of Nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-80. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 229-284.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (10.71 MB)
DescriptionHuman activity in the last century has led to a substantial increase in nitrogen (N) emissions and deposition (Galloway et al. 2003). Because of past, and, in some regions, continuing increases in emissions (Lehmann et al. 2005, Nilles and Conley 2001), this N deposition has reached a level that has caused or is likely to cause alterations and damage in many ecosystems across the United States. In some ecoregions, the impact of N deposition has been severe and has changed the biotic community structure and composition of ecosystems.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPardo, L.H.; Geiser, L.H.; Fenn, M.E.; Driscoll, C.T.; Goodale, C.L.; Allen, E.B.; Baron, J.S.; Bobbink, R.; Bowman, W.D.; Clark, C.M.; Emmett, B.; Gilliam, F.S.; Greaver, T.; Hall, S.J.; Lilleskov, E.A.; Liu, L.; Lynch, J.A.; Nadelhoffer, K.; Perakis, S.S.; Robin-Abbott, M.J.; Stoddard, J.L.; Weathers, K.C. 2011. Synthesis, Chapter 19. In: Pardo, L.H.; Robin-Abbott, M.J.; Driscoll, C.T., eds. Assessment of Nitrogen deposition effects and empirical critical loads of Nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-80. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 229-284.
- Effects and empirical critical loads of nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States
- Effects of nitrogen deposition and empirical nitrogen critical loads for ecoregions of the United States
- Simulated effects of sulfur deposition on nutrient cycling in class I wilderness areas
XML: View XML