Skip to Main Content
U.S. Forest Service
Caring for the land and serving people

United States Department of Agriculture

Home > Search > Publication Information

  1. Share via EmailShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Twitter
    Dislike this pubLike this pub
    Author(s): Jan Wiedenback; Chuck D. Ray; Li. Ma
    Date: 2011
    Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 559-569.
    Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
    Station: Northern Research Station
    PDF: View PDF  (1.04 MB)

    Description

    The project team identified 323 facilities in the northeastern United States that input pulpwood or "energy wood." Of these, 88 are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia, part of the central hardwood forest region. In the 13-state northeastern region, 81 percent of the facilities that use pulp-type roundwood produce an energy-related product. For the three states that are part of the central hardwood forest, 75 percent of the facilities are in business to produce an energy product while the other 25 percent produce a more traditional product (e.g., pulp, oriented strand board). The 323 operations identified in the Northeast potentially consume 40.6 million tons (50-percent moisture content) of wood per year, of which 12.5 million tons is consumed in the three central hardwood states. Forest resource concentrations and levels of industrialization suggest that collection of data on future woody biomass demand be focused on five key states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, and Pennsylvania. Small-scale bioenergy projects pose no real threat of significantly reducing the general supply of woody biomass in the Northeast. The ongoing decline in pulp and paper production together with the apparent decline in other traditional woody biomass-using industries, will relieve the pressure on the woody biomass resource. Assuming a normal and expected evolution of events, woody biomass consumption in the region will increase by roughly 25 percent over the next decade. The variable that could most affect the woody biomass resource is the future direction of electricity production from wood and co-firing of wood in coal power plants, especially in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio.

    Publication Notes

    • Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
    • Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
    • During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
    • Please contact Sharon Hobrla, shobrla@fs.fed.us if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
    • We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
    • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.

    Citation

    Wiedenback, Jan; Ray, Chuck D.; Ma, Li. 2011. A synopsis of the wood-based energy and heating industries in the northeastern United States with consideration of potential impacts on future demand for roundwood. In: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 559-569.

    Related Search


    XML: View XML
Show More
Show Fewer
Jump to Top of Page