Skip to Main Content
Virginia, 2009 forest inventory and analysis factsheetAuthor(s): Anita K. Rose
Source: e-Science Update SRS–035. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Science Update
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (853.73 KB)
DescriptionThis science update is a brief look at some of the basic metrics that describe forest resources in Virginia. Estimates presented here are for the measurement year 2009. Information for the factsheet is updated by means of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) annualized sample design. Virginia has about 4,600 sample plots across the State, and each year 20 percent of these plots (one panel) are visited and measured by field crews, the data compiled, and new estimates produced. Users should keep in mind that in each year of new estimates, only 20 percent of the data are new, with the older data making up the remaining 80 percent of the sample. This may result in some spikes in estimates when comparing successive survey years but in most instances the annualized design should give a reasonable indication of directional trends in the resource, such as increasing, decreasing, or no change. After 5 years of measurements, the full sample complement (a cycle) is complete and a new survey cycle begins. The strongest and most reliable trend information (especially that concerning magnitude of change) comes from comparing two full cycles of data.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRose, Anita K. 2011. Virginia, 2009 forest inventory and analysis factsheet. e-Science Update SRS–035. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
- Virginia, 2010 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- Virginia, 2011 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- Virginia, 2012 - forest inventory and analysis factsheet
XML: View XML