Skip to Main Content
Arkansas, 2010 forest inventory and analysis factsheetAuthor(s): James F. Rosson
Source: e-Science Update SRS–036. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Science Update
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (612.59 KB)
DescriptionThis annual factsheet is a brief look at some of the basic metrics that describe forest resources in Arkansas. Estimates presented here are for the measurement year 2010 with resource changes compared against the 2009 survey year. Factsheet information is updated every year by means of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) annualized sample design. Arkansas has about 5,700 sample plots across the State, and each year 20 percent of these plots (one panel) are visited and measured by field crews, the data compiled, and new estimates produced. Users should keep in mind that each year of new estimates, and the subsequent resource changes, are strongly influenced by the newest 20 percent of the sample; the older data comprise the remaining 80 percent of the sample. This small sample may result in sharp spikes in estimates when comparing successive survey years but in most instances the annualized design should give a reasonable indication of directional trends in the resource, such as increasing, decreasing, or no change. After 5 years of measurements, the full sample complement (a cycle) is complete and a new survey cycle begins. Because the 20 percent panel sample size is small, the strongest and most reliable trend information (especially that concerning magnitude of change) comes from comparing two full cycles of data.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRosson, James F., Jr. 2011. Arkansas, 2010 forest inventory and analysis factsheet. e-Science Update SRS–036. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
- Arkansas, 2011 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- Forests of Arkansas, 2013
- Forests of Arkansas, 2016
XML: View XML