Skip to Main Content
Characteristics of West Virginia loggers during economically difficult timesAuthor(s): Ben Spong; Jinxing Wang; David Summerfield
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 579-585.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (149.38 KB)
DescriptionWest Virginia licensed loggers have been surveyed over the years regarding their business, operational, and personal characteristics. An update of this study was completed in 2009 to illustrate the impacts of the current economic conditions on the forestry and forest products industries. Additionally, this survey will help demonstrate the preparedness of the logging workforce to embrace emerging biomass markets that have potentially different workforce needs from traditional logging. A paper-based mail survey questionnaire, with an online option, was mailed to 625 licensed loggers; the questionnaire included questions regarding general harvesting, company arrangements, equipment and technology, and demographics of the owner/manager. These data will be summarized and compared to previous West Virginia logger surveys.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpong, Ben; Wang, Jinxing; Summerfield, David. 2011. Characteristics of West Virginia loggers during economically difficult times. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 579-585.
- Assessing West Virginia NIPF owner preferred forest management assistance topics and delivery methods
- Roundwood markets and utilization in West Virginia and Ohio
- West Virginia wood waste from uncharted sources: log landings and active surface mines
XML: View XML