Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Hardwood lumber distribution yards: Output, demands, and perceptions of their roleAuthor(s): Urs Buehlmann; Omar Espinoza; Robert Smith; Matthew Bumgardner
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 623-630.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (108.83 KB)
DescriptionEfficient and effective supply chains strengthen the entire forest products industry value chain. As the secondary wood products industry has been transformed by the decline of large manufacturers in some industry segments, the industry's supply chain has responded to these new realities. Remaining and new customers tend to be smaller and have unique needs and expectations of their supply chain. Hardwood lumber distributors are adapting to meet these needs by sourcing products in a way that facilitates their expanding role in the new domestic industry. This study assessed the sourcing needs and perceptions of hardwood lumber distributors and depicts parts of the ongoing transformation of the hardwood lumber supply chain.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBuehlmann, Urs; Espinoza, Omar; Smith, Robert; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2011. Hardwood lumber distribution yards: Output, demands, and perceptions of their role. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 623-630.
- Trends in the US hardwood lumber distribution industry: changing products, customers, and services
- Manufacturers and distributors in the U.S. hardwood lumber supply chain: Perceptions of industry trends
- Intermediaries in the U.S. hardwood lumber market: comparing and contrasting sawmills and distributors
XML: View XML