Skip to Main Content
The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks, Second Edition: A new bookAuthor(s): Paul S. Johnson; Stephen R. Shifley; Robert Rogers
Source: In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 673-674.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (50.95 KB)
DescriptionThe second edition of The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks was recently published (Johnson and others 2009). The approach of the book is fundamentally silvicultural, but the content is based on the premise that eff ective and environmentally sound management and protection of oak forests and associated landscapes must be grounded in ecological understanding. The central concepts are based on recognizing similarities and differences among the various kinds of oak forests. Consequently the underlying principles presented are applicable to many if not most of the oak forests of the world. Topics include the distribution of oaks and oak-dominated ecosystems; regeneration ecology; site productivity; development of natural stands and stand dynamics; even- and uneven-age silvicultural systems; silviculture for nontimber objectives; and growth and yield.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Paul S.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Rogers, Robert. 2011. The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks, Second Edition: A new book. In: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. Proceedings, 17th central hardwood forest conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 673-674.
- A suggested approach for design of oak (Quercus L.) regeneration research considering regional differences
- Underplanting to sustain future stocking of oak (Quercus) in temperate deciduous forests
- Oak Regeneration: A Knowledge Synthesis
XML: View XML