Skip to Main Content
13 years of Forestry Research in West VirginiaAuthor(s): George R., Jr. Trimble; B. D. Fridley
Source: Res. Pap. NE-5. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 55 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (13.4 MB)
DescriptionIn 1948 the Northeastern Forest Experiment Station of the U.S. Forest Service, Department of Agriculture, established a field unit to conduct research in forest and watershed management in the Northern Appalachian Mountain region. This is a progress report on the activities and accomplishments of this research unit during its first 13 years of existence. Known initially as the Mountain State Research Center, later as the Elkins Research Center, and since 1962 as the Timber and Watershed Laboratory, this research unit has its administrative headquarters in the U.S. Forest Service Building at Elkins, West Virginia. However, most of the research facilities, including the Fernow Experimental Forest, are located near the town of Parsons, 22 miles to the northeast. A new laboratory is now being constructed at Parsons as field headquarters for this research unit.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTrimble, George R., Jr.; Fridley, B. D. 1963. 13 years of Forestry Research in West Virginia. Res. Pap. NE-5. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 55 p.
- Frontiers of Forestry Research - Priest River Experimental Forest, 1911-1976
- The principles of measuring forest fire danger
- Fernow Experimental Forest: Research History and Opportunities
XML: View XML