Skip to Main Content
Diurnal changes in photosynthetic parameters of Poulus tremuloides, modulated by elevated concentrations of CO2 and/or O3 and daily climatic variationAuthor(s): Katre Kets; Joseph N.T. Darbah; Anu Sober; Johanna Riikonen; Jaak Sober; David F. Karnosky
Source: Environmental Pollution. 158(4): 1000-1007.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (424.87 KB)
DescriptionThe diurnal changes in light-saturated photosynthesis (Pn) under elevated CO2 and/or O3 in relation to stomatal conductance (gs), water potential, intercellular [CO2], leaf temperature and vapour-pressure difference between leaf and air (VPDL) were studied at the Aspen FACE site. Two aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) clones differing in their sensitivity to ozone were measured. The depression in Pn was found after 10:00 h. The midday decline in Pn corresponded with both decreased gs and decreased Rubisco carboxylation efficiency, Vcmax. As a result of increasing VPDL, gs decreased. Elevated [CO2] resulted in more pronounced midday decline in Pn compared to ambient concentrations. Moreover, this decline was more pronounced under combined treatment compared to elevated CO2 treatment. The positive impact of CO2 on Pn was relatively more pronounced in days with environmental stress but relatively less pronounced during midday depression. The negative impact of ozone tended to decrease in both cases.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKets, Katre; Darbah, Joseph N.T.; Sober, Anu; Riikonen, Johanna; Sober, Jaak; Karnosky, David F. 2010. Diurnal changes in photosynthetic parameters of Poulus tremuloides, modulated by elevated concentrations of CO2 and/orO3 and daily climatic variation. Environmental Pollution. 158(4): 1000-1007.
KeywordsPhotosynthesis, Stomatal conductance, Vapour-pressure difference, Environmental stress, CO2/O3
- Interacting elevated CO2 and tropospheric O3 predisposes aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) to infection by rust (Melampsora medusa f. sp. tremuloidae).
- Variable performance of outbreak defoliators on aspen clones exposed to elevated CO2 and O3
- Growth responses of Populus tremuloides clones to interacting elevated carbon dioxide and tropospheric ozone
XML: View XML