Skip to Main Content
The Populus Class III HD ZIP transcription factor POPCORONA affects cell differentiation during secondary growth of woody stemsAuthor(s): Juan Du; Eriko Miura; Marcel Robischon; Ciera Martinez; Andrew Groover
Source: PLoS ONE 6(2): e17458
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (908.15 KB)
DescriptionThe developmental mechanisms regulating cell differentiation and patterning during the secondary growth of woody tissues are poorly understood. Class III HD ZIP transcription factors are evolutionarily ancient and play fundamental roles in various aspects of plant development. Here we investigate the role of a Class III HD ZIP transcription factor, POPCORONA, during secondary growth of woody stems. Transgenic Populus (poplar) trees expressing either a miRNA-resistant POPCORONA or a synthetic miRNA targeting POPCORONA were used to infer function of POPCORONA during secondary growth. Whole plant, histological, and gene expression changes were compared for transgenic and wild-type control plants. Synthetic miRNA knock down of POPCORONA results in abnormal lignification in cells of the pith, while overexpression of a miRNA-resistant POPCORONA results in delayed lignification of xylem and phloem fibers during secondary growth. POPCORONA misexpression also results in coordinated changes in expression of genes within a previously described transcriptional network regulating cell differentiation and cell wall biosynthesis, and hormone-related genes associated with fiber differentiation. POPCORONA illustrates another function of Class III HD ZIPs: regulating cell differentiation during secondary growth.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDu, Juan; Miura, Eriko; Robischon, Marcel; Martinez, Ciera; Groover, Andrew. 2011. The Populus Class III HD ZIP transcription factor POPCORONA affects cell differentiation during secondary growth of woody stems. PLoS ONE 6(2): e17458. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017458
- The Populus Class III HD ZIP, popREVOLUTA, influences cambium initiation and patterning of woody stems
- The Populus homeobox gene ARBORKNOX2 regulates cell differentiation during secondary growth
- A resource for characterizing genome-wide binding and putative target genes of transcription factors expressed during secondary growth and wood formation in Populus
XML: View XML