Skip to Main Content
Individual-tree tests of verbenone flakes, verbenone pouches, and green-leaf volatiles to protect lodgepole pines from mountain pine beetle attackAuthor(s): Sandra Kegley; Ken Gibson; Nancy Gillette; Jeff Webster; Lee Pederson; Silvia Mori
Source: Numbered Report 10-02. Coeur d’Alene, ID: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Region, Forest health Protection. 12 p
Publication Series: Other
PDF: View PDF (573.79 KB)
DescriptionWe have long known that the bark beetle-produced pheromone, verbenone (trimethyl-bicyclo-heptenone), can limit damage to pines by scolytid bark beetles (Clarke et al. 1999, Skillen et al. 1997, Syracuse Environmental Research Associates, Inc. 2000). It has also been shown that in some cases the addition of ―green leaf volatiles‖ (GLVs) can increase the efficacy of verbenone in protecting host trees (Wilson et al. 1996; Borden et al. 2003; Huber et al. 2003; Kegley and Gibson 2009).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKegley, Sandra; Gibson, Ken; Gillette, Nancy; Webster, Jeff; Pederson, Lee; Mori, Silvia. 2010. Individual-tree tests of verbenone flakes, verbenone pouches, and green-leaf volatiles to protect lodgepole pines from mountain pine beetle attack. Numbered Report 10-02. Coeur d’Alene, ID: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Region, Forest health Protection. 12 p
- Effect of verbenone on attraction of predatory and woodboring beetles (Coleoptera) to kairomones in Lodgepole pine forests
- Effect of verbenone on five species of bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in Lodgepole pine forests
- Five-year operational trial of verbenone to deter mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae); Coleoptera: Scolytidae) attack of lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta).
XML: View XML