Skip to Main Content
Vermont's Forests 2007Author(s): Randall S. Morin; Chuck J. Barnett; Gary J. Brand; Brett J. Butler; Robert De Geus; Mark H. Hansen; Mark A. Hatfield; Cassandra M. Kurtz; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Ron Piva; Rachel Riemann; Richard Widmann; Sandy Wilmot; Chris W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-51. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (32.19 MB)
DescriptionThe first full annual inventory of Vermont's forests reports more than 4.5 million acres of forest land with an average volume of more than 2,200 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the maple/beech/birch forest-type group, which occupies 70 percent of total forest land area. Sixty-three percent of forest land consists of large-diameter trees, 27 percent contains medium-diameter trees, and 9 percent contains small-diameter trees. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since the 1980s and currently totals nearly 9 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on timberland from 1997 to 2007 is approximately 180 million cubic feet per year. Additional information is presented on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates is included in a DVD at the back of the report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorin, Randall S.; Barnett, Chuck J.; Brand, Gary J.; Butler, Brett J.; De Geus, Robert; Hansen, Mark H.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ron; Riemann, Rachel; Widmann, Richard; Wilmot, Sandy; Woodall, Chris W. 2011. Vermont's Forests 2007. Resour. Bull. NRS-51. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsforest resources, forest health, forest products, volume, biomass
XML: View XML