Skip to Main Content
Conventional wisdoms of woody biomass utilization on federal public landsAuthor(s): Dennis R. Becker; Sarah M. McCaffrey; Dalia Abbas; Kathleen E. Halvorsen; Pamela Jakes; Cassandra Moseley
Source: Journal of Forestry. June: 208-218.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (102.63 KB)
DescriptionThe appeal of biomass utilization grows as the need for wildfire risk reduction, economic development, and renewable energy generation becomes more pressing. However, uncertainty exists regarding the factors necessary to stimulate use. We draw on in-depth interviews with local industry, agency, community, and tribal representatives from 10 study sites on federal public lands across the United States to examine persistent conventional wisdoms about what hinders biomass use. Findings indicate that the conventional wisdoms were reasonably accurate although the degree to which each impeded progress varied. Their interconnectedness also varied depending on local conditions. Supply guarantees, industry presence, transportation, and the value of the biomass were limiting factors to use, whereas agency budgets and staffing, environmental concerns, and partnerships more aggravated the problem than impeded progress. Understanding the scope and consistency of these accepted truths is important for ensuring that management efforts and ensuing policy effectively targets local use challenges.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBecker, Dennis R.; McCaffrey, Sarah M.; Abbas, Dalia; Halvorsen, Kathleen E.; Jakes, Pamela; Moseley, Cassandra. 2011. Conventional wisdoms of woody biomass utilization on federal public lands. Journal of Forestry. June: 208-218.
Keywordsbiomass utilization, problem framing, markets, policy
- What is limiting more flexible fire management—public or agency pressure?
- The homeowner view of thinning methods for fire hazard reduction: more positive than many think
- Common questions and concerns from government users of industrial treated wood products
XML: View XML