Proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fireAuthor(s): Sarah M. McCaffrey; Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Fisher
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-84. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 195 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (7.02 MB)
DescriptionThis proceedings contains articles, posters, and abstracts of presentations from the second Human Dimensions of Wildland Fire Conference held 27-29 April 2010 in San Antonio, Texas. The conference covered the social issues at the root of wildland fire management’s most serious challenges. Specific topics included: firefighter and public safety; social acceptance of fuels treatments; community and homeowner fire hazard mitigation; public responses during fires and fire-related evacuations; fire communication and education; and the performance of fire management organizations—from operational efficiency to cost management and from community relations to risk management. The conference included 59 presentations, three special sessions, and nine poster presentations. Conference attendees included fire researchers and wildland fire management practitioners from the United States, Australia, Canada, Portugal, England, and The Netherlands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCaffrey, Sarah M.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. 2011. Proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-84. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 195 p.
KeywordsFire management, firefighting, mitigation, social acceptability, communication, defensible space, fuels management
- Abstracts of proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire
- Understanding social complexity within the wildland urban interface: A new species of human habitation? Environmental Management
- External human factors in incident management team decisionmaking and their effect on large fire suppression expenditures
XML: View XML