Skip to Main Content
The changing roles of natural resource professionals: providing tools to students to teach the public about fireAuthor(s): Pat Stephens Williams; Brian P. Oswald; Karen Stafford; Justice Jones; David Kulhavy
Source: In: McCaffrey, Sarah M.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. 2011. Proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-84. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 33-35.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (726.34 KB)
DescriptionThe Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture (ATCOFA) at Stephen F. Austin State University is taking a proactive stance toward preparing forestry students to work closely with the public on fire planning in wildland-urban interface areas. ATCOFA's incorporation of the "Changing Roles" curriculum provides lessons on how natural resource managers' roles are (1) different than they used to be, and (2) ever-evolving. The undergraduate Forestry Field Station summer program at the University's Piney Woods Conservation Center now emphasizes the importance and challenges of working with the public. The program brings practicing professionals from the Texas Forest Service to describe the real-world challenges they face in communicating and working effectively with the public in their jobs.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStephens Williams, Pat; Oswald, Brian P.; Stafford, Karen; Jones, Justice; Kulhavy, David. 2011. The changing roles of natural resource professionals: providing tools to students to teach the public about fire. In: McCaffrey, Sarah M.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. 2011. Proceedings of the second conference on the human dimensions of wildland fire. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-84. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 33-35.
- Firewise forever? Voluntary community participation and retention in Firewise programs
- Strategies for sustainable forest management
- Proceedings of the Eighth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference
XML: View XML