Skip to Main Content
A simple stochastic weather generator for ecological modelingAuthor(s): A.G. Birt; M.R. Valdez-Vivas; R.M. Feldman; C.W. Lafon; D. Cairns; R.N. Coulson; M. Tchakerian; W. Xi; Jim Guldin
Source: Environmental Modelling and Software 25(10):1252-1255
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (213.67 KB)
DescriptionStochastic weather generators are useful tools for exploring the relationship between organisms and their environment. This paper describes a simple weather generator that can be used in ecological modeling projects. We provide a detailed description of methodology, and links to full C++ source code (http://weathergen.sourceforge.net) required to implement or modify the generator. We argue that understanding the principles of weather generation will allow ecologists to tailor a solution for their own requirements. The detailed, repeatable methodology we present demonstrates that weather generation is relatively straightforward for ecologists to implement and modify.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirt, A.G.; Valdez-Vivas, M.R.; Feldman, R.M.; Lafon, C.W.; Cairns, D.; Coulson, R.N.; Tchakerian, M.; Xi, W.; Guldin, J.M. 2010. A simple stochastic weather generator for ecological modeling. Environmental Modelling and Software 25(10):1252-1255.
Keywordsweather generator, climate, stochastic model, ecology
- Development of regional stump-to-mill logging cost estimators
- A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: the 2010 cohesive strategy science report
- Statistical framework for comparing lumber sorting procedures
XML: View XML