Skip to Main Content
The open research system: a web-based metadata and data repository for collaborative researchAuthor(s): Charles M. Schweik; Alexander Stepanov; J. Morgan Grove
Source: Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 47: 221-242.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (511.84 KB)
DescriptionBeginning in 1999, a web-based metadata and data repository we call the "open research system" (ORS) was designed and built to assist geographically distributed scientific research teams. The purpose of this innovation was to promote the open sharing of data within and across organizational lines and across geographic distances. As the use of the system continued, end users and group administrators requested the development of a second, Intranet-based system with similar functionality. After three years of operation, a survey was conducted of users of the system to understand why some users and research groups appeared to utilize the two systems more than others. From this research we found that some barriers to use include: (1) mismatch of system functionality to user or group needs; (2) willingness to share with an internal group by Intranet but not with the world by Internet; and (3) resistance to entering metadata because of workplace habits. This experience has also taught us that with respect to web-based metadata and data repositories there is a difference between long-term and short-term research projects in their need to establish good metadata and data storage procedures.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchweik, Charles M.; Stepanov, Alexander; Grove, J. Morgan. 2005. The open research system: a web-based metadata and data repository for collaborative research. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 47: 221-242.
KeywordsGroup collaboration, Metadata management, Online database, Open source, Open content licensing
- A prototype system for multilingual data discovery of International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTER) Network data
- Wood Utilization Research Dissemination on the World Wide Web: A Case Study
- Community standards for genomic resources, genetic conservation, and data integration
XML: View XML