Skip to Main Content
Effect of oxalic acid and steam pretreatment on the primary properties of UF-bonded rice straw particleboardsAuthor(s): Xianjun Li; Zhiyong Cai; Jerrold E. Winandy; Altaf H. Basta
Source: Industrial crops and products. Vol. 33, no. 3 (May 2011): p. 665-669.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (261.66 KB)
DescriptionThe objective is to evaluate the effect of oxalic acid (OA) and steam-pretreatment on the primary performance of rice straw particleboards. In addition, the effect of various treatment conditions on carbohydrates released from rice straw particles was investigated. The results show that steam- and short durations of OA-treatment significantly improved the mechanical properties and dimensional stability of rice straw particleboards. However, steam-treated rice straw (without OA-treatment) panels exhibited even better performance when compared with OA-treated panels. OA-pretreatment time has a negative effect on performance of panels, whereas the effect of temperature on the performance of OA-treated panels was not significant, except for the linear expansion. OA-treatment accelerated carbohydrates extraction. The sugars released from the OA-treated rice straw particles increase with increasing treatment temperature and time. Carbohydrates extracted from rice straw particles could be a potential sustainable resource for biofuel or bio-based chemicals.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Basta, Altaf H. 2011. Effect of oxalic acid and steam pretreatment on the primary properties of UF-bonded rice straw particleboards. Industrial Crops and Products. 33(3): 665-669.
KeywordsParticle board, testing, rice residues, mechanical properties, biomass utilization, fiber utilization, crop residues, natural resources, fibrous composites, plant fibers, oxalic acid, carbohydrates, temperature, sugars, feasibility studies, urea-formaldehyde resins, extraction, agricultural wastes, rice straw, physical properties, biocomposites, renewable natural resources, pretreatment, steam pressure, dimensional stability, particleboards, primary performance
- Primary properties of MDF using thermomechanical pulp made from oxalic acid pretreated rice straw particles
- Oxalic acid pretreatment of rice straw particles and loblolly pine chips : release of hemicellulosic carbohydrates
- The properties of pellets from mixing bamboo and rice straw
XML: View XML