Skip to Main Content
Oxalic acid pretreatment of rice straw particles and loblolly pine chips : release of hemicellulosic carbohydratesAuthor(s): Xianjun Li; Zhiyong Cai; Eric Horn; Jerrold E. Winandy
Source: Tappi journal. Vol. 10, no. 5 (May 2011): p. 41-45.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (233 KB)
DescriptionThis study was conducted to evaluate the effect of oxalic acid (OA) pretreatment on carbohydrates released from rice straw particles and wood chips. The results showed that OA treatment accelerated carbohydrates extraction from rice straw particles and wood chips. OA pretreatment dramatically increased the amount of carbohydrates extracted, up to 24 times for wood chips and 2.3 times for rice straw particles. Sugars released from the OA-treated rice straw particles and wood chips increased with increasing treatment temperature and duration. OA treatment also improved the primary physical properties of rice straw particleboard and wooden medium density fiberboard (MDF), except for the mechanical strength of MDF. Carbohydrates extracted from rice straw particles and wood chips could be a potential sustainable resource for biofuel or biobased chemicals.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Horn, Eric; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2011. Oxalic acid pretreatment of rice straw particles and loblolly pine chips: release of hemicellulosic carbohydrates. Tappi Journal. 10(5): 41-45.
KeywordsOxalic acid, wood chips, hemicellulose, carbohydrates, ethanol, loblolly pine, Pinus taeda, sugars, particle board, mechanical properties, fiberboard, composite materials, rice, residues, temperature, fuelwood, biotechnology, biomass energy, biomass, utilization, crop residues, plant fibers, chemical utilization, bioconversion, loblolly pine, chips, pretreatment, alcohol, biorefining, wood extractives, rice straw, physical properties, fiberboard, strength, biomass fuel
- Effect of oxalic acid and steam pretreatment on the primary properties of UF-bonded rice straw particleboards
- The properties of pellets from mixing bamboo and rice straw
- Primary properties of MDF using thermomechanical pulp made from oxalic acid pretreated rice straw particles
XML: View XML