Skip to Main Content
Sinking ships: conservation options for endemic taxa threatened by sea level riseAuthor(s): Joyce Maschinski; Michael S. Ross; Hong Liu; Joe O'Brien; Erick J. von Wettberg; Kristin E. Haskins
Source: Climatic Change 107:147–167
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (538.75 KB)
DescriptionLow-elevation islands face threats from sea level rise (SLR) and increased storm intensity. Evidence of endangered species’ population declines and shifts in vegetation communities are already underway in the Florida Keys. SLR predictions indicate large areas of these habitats may be eliminated in the next century. Using the Florida Keys as a model system, we present a process for evaluating conservation options for rare and endemic taxa. Considering species characteristics and habitat, we assess central issues that influence conservation options.We contrast traditional and controversial options for two animal and two plant species giving special emphasis to perceptions of ecological risk and safety from SLR and suggest courses of action. Multiple strategies will be required to spread extinction risk and will be effective for different time periods. Global climate change presents an uncertain, perhaps no-analog future that will challenge land managers and practitioners to re-evaluate equilibrium-state-conceived laws and policies not only for these taxa, but for many facing similar threats. To embrace conservation in a changing world will require a new dialogue that includes controversial ideas, a review of existing laws and policies, and preparation for the oncoming change.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMaschinski, Joyce; Ross, Michael S.; Liu, Hong; O'Brien, Joe; von Wettberg, Erick J.; Haskins, Kristin E. 2011. Sinking ships: conservation options for endemic taxa threatened by sea level rise. Climatic Change, 107: 147-167.
- Fire In South Florida Ecosystems
- RAPD analysis of the last population of a likely Florida Keys endemic cactus
- Florida's Revised Prescribed Fire Law: Protection For Responsible Burners
XML: View XML