Skip to Main Content
Maintaining the confidentiality of plot locations by exploiting the low sensitivity of forest structure models to different spectral extraction kernelsAuthor(s): Sean P. Healey; Elizabeth Lapoint; Gretchen G. Moisen; Scott L. Powell
Source: International Journal of Remote Sensing. 32(1): 287-297.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (754.88 KB)
DescriptionThe United States Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) unit maintains a large national network of inventory plots.While the consistency and extent of this network make FIA data attractive for ecological modelling, the FIA is charged by statute not to publicly reveal inventory plot locations. However, use of FIA plot data by the remote sensing community often requires that plot measurements be matched with spatially correspondent values fromspectral or geographic data layers. Extracting spatial data in a known way and associating it with plot information leaves open the possibility that a user might use extracted spatial characteristics and a moving window filter to directly infer the plot's location. Direct inference of plot location in this way would be impossible, however, if the original method of sampling the geographic data was unknown. Tests using five Landsat scenes covering a wide range of ecological types showed that varying the weights of pixels within approximately 50 m of the plot centre has little effect on the quality of subsequent models predicting basal area. This finding may support the development of automated extraction routines that vary (perhaps randomly) the geographic data extraction process and therefore increase the security of FIA plot locations.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHealey, Sean P.; Lapoint, Elizabeth; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Powell, Scott L. 2011. Maintaining the confidentiality of plot locations by exploiting the low sensitivity of forest structure models to different spectral extraction kernels. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 32(1): 287-297.
Keywordsinventory plots, plot location, forest structure models, Landsat
- Variable Selection Strategies for Small-area Estimation Using FIA Plots and Remotely Sensed Data
- Biomass estimates for tropical forests
- Estimating and circumventing the effects of perturbing and swapping inventory plot locations
XML: View XML