Skip to Main Content
The assembly of ecological communities inferred from taxonomic and functional compositionAuthor(s): Eric R. Sokol; E.F. Benfield; Lisa K. Belden; H. Maurice Valett
Source: The American Naturalist 177(5):630-644
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (2.89 MB)
DescriptionAmong-site variation in metacommunities (beta diversity) is typically correlated with the distance separating the sites (spatial lag). This distance decay in similarity pattern has been linked to both niche-based and dispersal-based community assembly hypotheses. Here we show that beta diversity patterns in community composition, when supplemented with functional-trait information, can be used to diagnose assembly processes. First, using simulated data, we show how the relationship between distance decay patterns in taxonomic and functional measures of community composition can be used to predict the influence of a given trait on community assembly. We then use the patterns generated by the simulation as a template to show that the sorting of benthic macroinvertebrate metacommunities in headwater streams is likely influenced by different sets of functional traits at regional and local scales. We suggest that functional-trait databases and spatially referenced taxonomic surveys can be used to predict the spatial scales at which different aspects of interspecific functional variation are involved in niche-based community assembly while accounting for the influence of dispersal-based community assembly processes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSokol, Eric R.; Benfield, E.F.; Belden, Lisa K.; Valett, H. Maurice. 2011. The assembly of ecological communities inferred from taxonomic and functional composition. The American Naturalist 177(5):630-644.
Keywordscommunity assembly, beta diversity, functional traits, macroinvertebrates, headwater streams
- Stability and structure in [alpha]- and [beta]-keggin heteropolytungstates, [Xn+W12O40](8-n)-, X = p-block cation
- Historical agriculture alters the effects of fire on understory plant beta diversity
- Methods for estimating aboveground biomass and its components for Douglas-fir and lodgepole pine trees
XML: View XML