Skip to Main Content
New Hampshire's Forests 2007Author(s): Randall S. Morin; Chuck J. Barnett; Gary J. Brand; Brett J. Butler; Grant M. Domke; Susan Francher; Mark H. Hansen; Mark A. Hatfield; Cassandra M. Kurtz; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Ron Piva; Rachel Riemann; Chris W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-53. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (17.08 MB)
DescriptionThe first full annual inventory of New Hampshire's forests reports nearly 4.8 million acres of forest land with an average volume of nearly 2,200 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the maple/beech/birch forest-type group, which occupies 53 percent of total forest land area. Fifty-seven percent of forest land consists of large-diameter trees, 32 percent contains medium-diameter trees, and 11 percent contains small-diameter trees. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since the 1980s and currently totals nearly 9.5 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on timberland from 1997 to 2007 is approximately 164 million cubic feet per year. Additional information is presented on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality estimates is included in a DVD at the back of the report. Tables of population estimates and a glossary are also included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorin, Randall S.; Barnett, Chuck J.; Brand, Gary J.; Butler, Brett J.; Domke, Grant M.; Francher, Susan; Hansen, Mark H.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ron; Riemann, Rachel; Woodall, Chris W. 2011. New Hampshire's Forests 2007. Resour. Bull. NRS-53. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsforest resources, forest health, forest products, volume, biomass
XML: View XML