Skip to Main Content
Iowa's Forests 2008Author(s): Mark D. Nelson; Matt Brewer; Christopher W. Woodall; Charles H. Perry; Grant M. Domke; Ronald J. Piva; Cassandra M. Kurtz; W. Keith Moser; Tonya W. Lister; Brett J. Butler; Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Patrick D. Miles; Charles J. Barnett; Dale Gormanson
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-52. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 48 p. [DVD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (18.93 MB)
DescriptionThe second full annual inventory of Iowa's forests (2004-2008) reports more than 3 million acres of forest land, almost all of which is timberland (98 percent), with an average volume of more than 1,000 cubic feet of growing stock per acre. American elm and eastern hophornbeam are the most numerous tree species, but silver maple and bur oak predominate in terms of live tree volume. Iowa's forest land is comprised of 65 percent sawtimber, 19 percent poletimber, and 16 percent sapling/seedling or nonstocked size classes. Average annual net growth of growing-stock trees on Iowa's timberland increased during the past decade to the current estimate of nearly 105 million cubic feet. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health. A DVD included in this report includes 1) descriptive information on methods, statistics, and quality assurance of data collection, 2) a glossary of terms, 3) tables that summarize quality assurance, 4) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources, and 5) a Microsoft Access database that represents an archive of data used in this report, with tools that allow users to produce customized estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Mark D.; Brewer, Matt; Woodall, Christopher W.; Perry, Charles H.; Domke, Grant M.; Piva, Ronald J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Moser, W. Keith; Lister, Tonya W.; Butler, Brett J.; Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Miles, Patrick D.; Barnett, Charles J.; Gormanson, Dale. 2011. Iowa's Forests 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS-52. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 48 p. [DVD included].
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest health, FIA
- Iowa Forests, 2013
- Early Stump Sprout Development after Two Levels of Harvest in a Midwestern Bottomland Hardwood Forest
- Iowa's forest resources, 2005
XML: View XML