Skip to Main Content
Clonal Variation in Lateral and Basal Rooting of Populus Irrigated with Landfill LeachateAuthor(s): R. S. Zalesny; J. A. Zalesny
Source: Silvae Genetica
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (877.0 KB)
DescriptionSuccessful establishment and productivity of Populus depends upon adventitious rooting from: 1) lateral roots that develop from either preformed or induced primordia and 2) basal roots that differentiate from callus at the base of the cutting in response to wounding. Information is needed for phytotechnologies about the degree to which Populus adventitious rooting is controlled by effects of individual genotypes, waste waters used as alternative fertigation sources, and their interactions. Our objective was to irrigate twelve Populus clones with well water (control) or municipal solid waste landfill leachate and to test for differences between initiation of lateral versus basal roots, as well as root growth rate and distributional trends for both root types. We evaluated number and length of lateral roots initiated from upper, middle, and lower thirds of the cutting, as well as basal callus roots. Overall, leachate irrigation affected lateral roots but not basal roots, and there was broad clonal variation between and within root types.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZalesny, R. S.; Zalesny, J. A. 2011. Clonal Variation in Lateral and Basal Rooting of Populus Irrigated with Landfill Leachate. Silvae Genetica. 60(1-6): 35-44. https://doi.org/10.1515/sg-2011-0005.
Keywordsforest genetics, tree improvement, phytotechnologies, hybrid poplar, root types, Populus deltoides, P. trichocarpa, P. suaveolens subsp. maximowiczii, P. nigra
- Effects of Clone, Silvicultural, and Miticide Treatments on Cottonwood Leafcurl Mite (Acari: Eriophyidae) Damage in Plantation Populus
- Phytoaccumulation of sodium and chloride into leaf, woody, and root tissue of Populus irrigated with landfill leachate
- Growth and biomass of Populus irrigated with landfill leachate
XML: View XML