Skip to Main Content
A genomic map enriched for markers linked to Avr1 in Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiformeAuthor(s): Thomas L Kubisiak; Claire L Anderson; Henry V Amerson; Jason A Smith; John M Davis; C Dana Nelson
Source: Fungal Genetics and Biology 48(3):266-274
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (1.2 MB)
DescriptionA novel approach is presented to map avirulence gene Avr1 in the basidiomycete Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme, the causal agent of fusiform rust disease in pines. DNA markers tightly linked to resistance gene Fr1 in loblolly pine tree 10-5 were used to classify 10-5 seedling progeny as either resistant or susceptible. A single dikaryotic isolate (P2) heterozygous at the corresponding Avr1 gene was developed by crossing Fr1 avirulent isolate SC20-21 with Fr1 virulent isolate NC2-40. Bulk basidiospore inoculum derived from isolate P2 was used to challenge the pine progeny. The ability to unambiguously marker classify 10-5 progeny as resistant (selecting for virulence) or susceptible (non-selecting) permitted the genetic mapping of the corresponding Avr1 gene by bulked segregant analysis. Using this approach, 14 genetic markers significantly linked to Avr1 were identified and placed within the context of a genome-wide linkage map produced for isolate P2 using samples from susceptible seedlings.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKubisiak, Thomas L; Anderson, Claire L; Amerson, Henry V; Smith, Jason A; Davis, John M; Nelson, C Dana. 2011. A genomic map enriched for markers linked to Avr1 in Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme. Fungal Genetics and Biology 48(3):266-274.
KeywordsAFLP, avirulence gene, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme, fusiform rust, linkage map, RAPD, gene-for-gene interaction
- Mapping fusiform rust resistance genes within a complex mating design of loblolly pine
- Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
- Differential gene expression in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) challenged with the fusiform rust fungus, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme
XML: View XML