Skip to Main Content
Genome size variation in the pine fusiform rust pathogen Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme as determined by flow cytometryAuthor(s): Claire L Anderson; Thomas L Kubisiak; C Dana Nelson; Jason A Smith; John M Davis
Source: Mycologia 102(6):1295-1302
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (381.34 KB)
DescriptionThe genome size of the pine fusiform rust pathogen Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme (Cqf) was determined by flow cytometric analysis of propidium iodide-stained, intact haploid pycniospores with haploid spores of two genetically well characterized fungal species, Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and Puccinia graminis f.sp. tritici, as size standards. The Cqf haploid genome was estimated at ,90 Mb, similar to other Pucciniales species for which reference genome sequences are available. Twenty-three Cqf pycniospore samples were compared that comprised three samples obtained from naturally occurring pine galls and 20 samples obtained after artificial inoculation with parental isolates and their progeny. Significant variation in genome size (.10% of mean) was detected among unrelated as well as sibling Cqf samples. The unexpected plasticity in Cqf genome size observed among sibling samples is likely to be driven by meiosis between parental genomes that differ in size.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAnderson, Claire L; Kubisiak, Thomas L; Nelson, C Dana; Smith, Jason A; Davis, John M. 2010. Genome size variation in the pine fusiform rust pathogen Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme as determined by flow cytometry. Mycologia 102(6):1295-1302.
KeywordsCronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme, flow cytometry, fusiform rust disease, genome size, propidium iodide, pycniospore, spermatia
- Differential gene expression in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) challenged with the fusiform rust fungus, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme
- Interacting genes in the pine-fusiform rust forest pathosystem
- Identification of pathogen avirulencegenes in the fusiform rust pathosystem
XML: View XML