Skip to Main Content
Empirical and simulated critical loads for nitrogen deposition in California mixed conifer forestsAuthor(s): M.E. Fenn; S. Jovan; F. Yuan; L. Geiser; T. Meixner; B.S. Gimeno
Source: Environ. Pollut. 155:492-511
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (1.76 MB)
DescriptionEmpirical critical loads (CL) for N deposition were determined from changes in epiphytic lichen communities, elevated NO3 leaching in streamwater, and reduced fine root biomass in ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws.) at sites with varying N deposition. The CL for lichen community impacts of 3.1 kg ha-1 year-1 is expected to protect all components of the forest ecosystem from the adverse effects of N deposition. Much of the western Sierra Nevada is above the lichen-based CL, showing significant changes in lichen indicator groups. The empirical N deposition threshold and that simulated by the DayCent model for enhanced NO3 leaching were 17 kg N ha-1 year-1. DayCent estimated that elevated NO3 leaching in the San Bernardino Mountains began in the late 1950s. Critical values for litter C:N (34.1), ponderosa pine foliar N (1.1%), and N concentrations (1.0%) in the lichen Letharia vulpina ((L.) Hue) are indicative of CL exceedance.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFenn, M.E.; Jovan, S.; Yuan, F.; Geiser, L.; Meixner, T.; Gimeno, B.S. 2008. Empirical and simulated critical loads for nitrogen deposition in California mixed conifer forests. Environ. Pollut. 155:492-511.
KeywordsEcosystem protection, Atmospheric deposition, Epiphytic lichens, Biomonitoring, Nitrogen saturation, Harmful effects
- A comparison of empirical and modelled nitrogen critical loads for Mediterranean forests and shrublands in California
- Effect of Periodic Burning on Soil Nitrogen Concentrations in Ponderosa Pine
- Concentrations and deposition of nitrogenous air pollutants in a ponderosa/Jeffrey pine canopy
XML: View XML