Skip to Main Content
Interdisciplinary studies of eruption at Chaiten Volcano, ChileAuthor(s): John S. Pallister; Jon J. Major; Thomas C. Pierson; Richard P. Hoblitt; Jacob B. Lowenstern; John C. Eichelberger; Lara Luis; Hugo Moreno; Jorge Munoz; Jonathan M. Castro; Andres Iroume; Andrea Andreoli; Julia Jones; Fred Swanson; Charlie Crisafulli
Source: EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union. 91(42): 381-382
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (450.6 KB)
DescriptionThere was keen interest within the volcanology community when the first large eruption of high-silica rhyolite since that of Alaska's Novarupta volcano in 1912 began on 1 May 2008 at Chaiten volcano, southern Chile, a 3-kilometer-diameter caldera volcano with a prehistoric record of rhyolite eruptions. Vigorous explosions occurred through 8 May 2008, after which explosive activity waned and a new lava dome was extruded. In early 2010, seismicity, sulfur dioxide emissions of less than 100 tons per day, thermal imagery, and visual observations showed that the lava dome was still growing slowly, but there was no indication of an impending explosion or dome collapse. Capitalizing on this relative quiescence of the volcano, an interdisciplinary team of 21 geologists, geophysicists, geochemists, hydrologists, and ecologists from Chile, the United States, Mexico, Australia, and Italy conducted an intensive, helicopter-supported field campaign at Chaiten volcano from 19 January to 8 February 2010.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPallister, John S.; Major, Jon J.; Pierson, Thomas C.; Hoblitt, Richard P.; Lowenstern, Jacob B.; Eichelberger, John C.; Lara, Luis.; Moreno, Hugo; Munoz, Jorge; Castro, Jonathan M.; Iroume, Andres; Andreoli, Andrea; Jones, Julia; Swanson, Fred; Crisafulli, Charlie. 2010. Interdisciplinary studies of eruption at Chaiten Volcano, Chile. EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union. 91(42): 381-382.
Keywordsdisturbance, geomorphology, succession
- Effects of volcanic and hydrologic processes on forest vegetation: Chaitén Volcano, Chile
- Volcanic Ash-cap Forest Soils of the Inland Northwest Properties and Implications for Management and Restoration
- Caída de tefra y su influencia sobre la estructura y dinámica de los bosques andinos de Nothofagus en el Parque Nacional Puyehue, Chile
XML: View XML