Skip to Main Content
Factors affecting golden-cheeked warbler nest survival in urban and rural landscapesAuthor(s): Jenifer L. Reidy; Frank R. Thompson; Rebecca G. Peak
Source: Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(3): 407-413.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (226.74 KB)
DescriptionWe evaluated hypotheses concerning temporal, landscape, and habitat effects on nest survival of golden-cheeked warblers (Dendroica chrysoparia) in an urban and a rural landscape during the breeding seasons of 2005 and 2006 in central Texas, USA. We found support for temporal effects of year and cubic effect of date and included them in candidate models that evaluated habitat and landscape effects. Nest survival was lower in 2006 than in 2005 and decreased nonlinearly as the breeding season progressed. We found support for edge effects with decreased nest survival nearer edges and in areas with increased open edge density (wooded habitat abutting open habitat) or decreased trail density. However, confidence intervals for the model-averaged odds ratios overlapped 1.0 for all edge variables.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReidy, Jenifer L.; Thompson, Frank R., III; Peak, Rebecca G. 2009. Factors affecting golden-cheeked warbler nest survival in urban and rural landscapes. Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(3): 407-413.
KeywordsDendroica chrysoparia, edge effects, golden-cheeked warbler, information-theoretic approach, nest survival, rural, temporal effects, Texas, urban
- Seasonal productivity and nest survival of Golden-cheeked Warblers vary with forest type and edge density
- Landscape and local effects on occupancy and densities of an endangered wood-warbler in an urbanizing landscape
- Density and nest survival of golden-cheeked warblers: Spatial scale matters
XML: View XML