Skip to Main Content
Sediment production from forest road surfaces.Author(s): Leslie Reid; T. Dunne
Source: Paper #G28 in: DeWalle, D.R. (ed.): Forest Hydrology (IAHS Benchmark Papers in Hydrology Series). International Association of Hydrological Sciences. (1984 paper reprinted from Water Resources Research 20(11), 1753–1761)
Publication Series: Other
PDF: View PDF (870.73 KB)
DescriptionErosion on roads is an important source of fine-grained sediment in streams draining logged basins of the Pacific Northwest. Runoff rates and sediment concentrations from 10 road segments subject to a variety of traffic levels were monitored to produce sediment rating curves and unit hydrographs for different use levels and types of surfaces. These relationships are combined with a continuous rainfall record to calculate mean annual sediment yields from road segments of each use level. A heavily used road segment in the field area contributes 130 times as much sediment as an abandoned road. A paved road segment, along which cut slopes and ditches are the only sources of sediment, yields less than 1% as much sediment as a heavily used road with a gravel surface.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReid, L.M.; Dunne, T. 2011. Sediment production from forest road surfaces. Paper #G28 in DeWalle, D.R. (ed.): Forest Hydrology (IAHS Benchmark Papers in Hydrology Series). International Association of Hydrological Sciences. (1984 paper reprinted from Water Resources Research 20(11), 1753–1761)
- Forest Road Erosion, Sediment Transport, and Model Validation in the Southern Appalachians
- Sediment production from forest roads in western Oregon
- Simulation of Surface Erosion on a Logging Road in the Jackson Demonstration State Forest
XML: View XML