Skip to Main Content
Root and aerial infections of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana by Phytophthora lateralis : a new threat for European countriesAuthor(s): C. Robin; D. Piou; N. Feau; G. Douzon; N. Schenck; E.M. Hansen
Source: Forest Pathology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (590.69 KB)
DescriptionPhytophthora lateralis has been isolated from root and collar lesions in Port-Orford Cedar (POC) trees (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) in north-western France (Brittany). These trees, planted in hedgerows, displayed symptoms similar to the typical symptoms of POC root disease. Until now, the disease has been found outside of the nurseries only in western North America. Aerial symptoms, not associated with root or collar infections, were also observed, and P. lateralis was isolated from branch lesions. Similar symptoms were previously observed only in one POC root disease site, located in the Pacific coast of Oregon where climatic conditions are similar to those occurring in Brittany. The reported aetiology as well as the morphological characteristics (deciduous sporangia) of P. lateralis suggests that this species could be air-dispersed, as described for P. ramorum, a closely related species. This outbreak of P. lateralis in Brittany in farming landscapes associated with the aerial spread of this pathogen represents a new threat for European countries.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobin, C.; Piou, D. ; Feau, N.; Douzon, G.; Schenck, N. ; Hansen, E.M. 2010. Root and aerial infections of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana by Phytophthora lateralis : a new threat for European countries. Forest Pathology no. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0329.2010.00688.x.
KeywordsPhytophthora lateralis, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
- Ecology, pathology, and management of Port-Orford-Cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana).
- Operational program to develop Phytophthora lateralis-resistant populations of Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana)
- Nine year survival of 16 Phytophthora lateralis resistant and susceptible Port-Orford-Cedar families in a Southern Oregon field trial
XML: View XML