Southern Pine Beetle IIAuthor(s): R. N. Coulson; Kier Klepzig
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station, 512 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (236.15 MB)
DescriptionThe knowledge base for the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) has increased dramatically since the last comprehensive and interpretative summary (Thatcher and others 1980). This insect continues to be a significant pest affecting the forest environment of the Southern US and adjoining states and it is also the subject of considerable ongoing basic research. The knowledge base for the southern pine beetle is therefore broad-based and ranges from practical information that forms the foundation for integrated pest management (IPM) to basic discoveries that define our scientific understanding of the roles this organism plays in the natural environment. Accordingly, the goal of Southern Pine Beetle II is to provide a synthesis of new and existing knowledge to address both practical application as well as advancement of scientific understanding. Southern Pine Beetle II consists of 29 chapters divided into five basic sections: Ecology, Impact, Silviculture and Management, Treatment Tactics and Strategies, and Integrated Pest Management. The 22 first authors who contributed the individual chapters of Southern Pine Beetle II are recognized authorities in the respective domains of their contributions. The authors represent a blend of individuals who have, in some cases, devoted a significant portion of their professional careers to investigations of the southern pine beetle and new personalities who have brought fresh perspectives to the research arena.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCoulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station, 512 p.
KeywordsSouthern pine beetle, Population Dynamics, Impact Assessment, Silviculture, Management, Treatment Tactics and Strategies, Integrated Pest Management
- Southern Pine Beetle Behavior and Semiochemistry
- Semiochemicals in the natural history of southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann and their role in pest management.
- Integrated Pest Management of the Southern Pine Beetle
XML: View XML