Skip to Main Content
Population Dynamics of Southern Pine Beetle in Forest LandscapesAuthor(s): Andrew Birt
Source: In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 91-108.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.39 MB)
DescriptionSouthern pine beetle (SPB) is an important pest of Southeastern United States pine forests. Periodic regional outbreaks are characterized by localized areas of tree mortality (infestations) surrounded by areas with little or no damage. Ultimately, this spatiotemporal pattern of tree mortality is driven by the dynamics of SPB populations—more specifically, by rates of survival, reproduction, development, and dispersal. In turn these rates are driven by the interaction between SPB and its hosts, predators, and climate. In this chapter, the relationship between these factors and SPB population ecology are discussed. Particular emphasis is placed on mechanisms that could explain the temporal changes of the population from outbreak to nonoutbreak phases, the dispersal of SPB across a complex forest landscape, and the importance of interpreting the environment using current knowledge of SPB ecology.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationBirt, Andrew 2011. Population Dynamics of Southern Pine Beetle in Forest Landscapes. In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 91-108.
Keywordslandscape, population dynamics, southern pine beetle
- Ecological Impacts of Southern Pine Beetle
- Mechanical Control of Southern Pine Beetle Infestations
- Documentation and user guides for SPBLOB: a computer simulation model of the join population dynamics for loblolly pine and the southern pine beetle
XML: View XML