Skip to Main Content
Regional Population DynamicsAuthor(s): Andrew Birt
Source: In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 109-128.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (31.08 MB)
DescriptionThe population dynamics of the southern pine beetle (SPB) exhibit characteristic fluctuations between relatively long endemic and shorter outbreak periods. Populations exhibit complex and hierarchical spatial structure with beetles and larvae aggregating within individual trees, infestations with multiple infested trees, and regional outbreaks that comprise a large number of spatially distinct infestations. Every year at least some part of the Southern United States experiences outbreaks, and the large and unpredictable timber losses associated with these make the SPB the most important pest of southern forests. This chapter reviews the mechanisms that may drive SPB populations at a regional scale. More specifically, it focuses on the initiation and decline of outbreaks, the patterns of damage within them, and the utility of this knowledge for managing the SPB.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirt, Andrew. 2011. Regional Population Dynamics. In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 109-128.
Keywordspopulation dynamics, region, southern pine beetle
- Aerial Detection, Ground Evaluation, and Monitoring of the Southern Pine Beetle: State Perspectives
- Population Dynamics of Southern Pine Beetle in Forest Landscapes
- Mechanical Control of Southern Pine Beetle Infestations
XML: View XML