Skip to Main Content
Southern Pine Beetle Information System (SPBIS)Author(s): Valli Peacher
Source: In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 279-287.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.35 MB)
DescriptionThe southern pine beetle (SPB) is the most destructive forest insect in the South. The SPB attacks all species of southern pine, but loblolly and shortleaf are most susceptible. The Southern Pine Beetle Information System (SPBIS) is the computerized database used by the national forests in the Southern Region for tracking individual southern pine beetle infestations. Historical SPB records are stored by Forest Health Protection (FHP) and have been used to document the effectiveness of SPB suppression techniques. The system is instrumental in forest plan implementation. It is a valuable tool for monitoring of forest management activities.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPeacher, Valli. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle Information System (SPBIS). In: Coulson, R.N.; Klepzig, K.D. 2011. Southern Pine Beetle II. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-140. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 279-287.
Keywordscomputerized record keeping, current and historical records, customized reports, database, historical database, monitoring, SPB infestation, southern pine beetle, summary reports
- The Mexican pine beetle, dendroctonus maxicanus: first recorded in the United States and co-occurrence with the southern pine beetle - dendroctonus frontalis (coleoptera: scolytidae or curculionidae: scolytinae)
- Use of Chemicals for Prevention and Control of Southern Pine Beetle Infestations
- Naturally Occurring Compound Can Protect Pines from the Southern Pine Beetle
XML: View XML