Skip to Main Content
Long-term field evaluation of Mecinus janthinus releases against Dalmatian toadflax in Montana (USA)Author(s): Sharlene Sing; D. K. Weaver; R. M. Nowierski; G. P. Markin
Source: In: Julien, M. H.; Sforza, R.; Bon, M. C.; Evans, H. C.; Hatcher, P. E.; Hinz, H. L.; Rector, B. G. Proceedings of the XII International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds; La Grande Motte, France; 22-27 April, 2007. Wallingford, UK: CABI. p. 620-624.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (411.43 KB)
DescriptionThe toadflax stem mining weevil, Mecinus janthinus Germar, was first released in the United States in Montana, in 1996. This agent has now become established to varying degrees after subsequent releases made at sites throughout the state. Multiple releases of M. janthinus have presented researchers with a unique opportunity to evaluate the efficacy of this agent in diverse habitats and under a variety of environmental conditions. The results presented in this paper summarize findings from long-term field data, illustrating not only the impact of M. janthinus on the target weed, Dalmatian toadflax, Linaria dalmatica (L.) P. Mill., but also on correlated plant community dynamics. These results additionally provide a valuable means to compare and contrast the biotic response and control efficacy of this agent at both a regional and sub-continental scale.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSing, S. E.; Weaver, D. K.; Nowierski, R. M.; Markin, G. P. 2008. Long-term field evaluation of Mecinus janthinus releases against Dalmatian toadflax in Montana (USA). In: Julien, M. H.; Sforza, R.; Bon, M. C.; Evans, H. C.; Hatcher, P. E.; Hinz, H. L.; Rector, B. G. Proceedings of the XII International Symposium on Biological Control of Weeds; La Grande Motte, France; 22-27 April, 2007. Wallingford, UK: CABI. p. 620-624.
KeywordsLinaria, efficacy, plant community response
- The impacts of a stem boring weevil, Mecinus janthinus, on dalmatian toadflax, Linaria dalmatica
- Ecology and management of Dalmatian toadflax (Linaria dalmatica (L.) Mill.)
- Differential physiological responses of dalmatian toadflax, Linaria dalmatica L. Miller, to injury from two insect biological control agents: Implications for decision-making in biological control
XML: View XML