Skip to Main Content
Structural constraints to wilderness: Impacts on visitation and experienceAuthor(s): Ingrid E. Schneider; Sierra L. Schroeder; Ann Schwaller
Source: International Journal of Wilderness. 17(1): 14-21.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (99.09 KB)
DescriptionA significant research body on recreation constraints exists, but wilderness constraints research is limited. Like other recreationists, wilderness visitors likely experience a number of constraints, factors that limit leisure preference formation or participation and enjoyment. This project explored how visitors' experiences with and in wilderness are constrained, and examined responses to those constraints. A hermeneutic approach (Patterson and Williams 2002) provided the stories of wilderness visitors' experiences and constraints to experiences with and in wilderness. A purposive sample identified respondents for in-depth face-to-face interviews with a semistructured interview guide. Interviews were transcribed verbatim, and analysis considered visitors' individual stories and stories across individuals. Member checking and dual readers provided discussion opportunities about and validation of the interpretations. Similar to other types of recreation, a variety of constraints to wilderness visitation emerged, although structural constraints dominated the conversations. Of particular interest to wilderness managers are the visitors' coping responses to constraints: shortened trips with fewer miles traveled influence both social and biophysical management areas. Future research opportunities include monitoring longer-term impacts on experiences, visitor use patterns, and subsequent biophysical impacts.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchneider, Ingrid E.; Schroeder, Sierra L.; Schwaller, Ann. 2011. Structural constraints to wilderness: Impacts on visitation and experience. International Journal of Wilderness. 17(1): 14-21.
Keywordswilderness, structural constraints, visitation, experience
- The prevalence and significance of displacement for wilderness recreation management and research
- Immediate conscious experience in wilderness: A phenomenological investigation
- Response to conflict among wilderness visitors
XML: View XML