Skip to Main Content
Preliminary report on the ecology of Armillaria in the East Cascades of OregonAuthor(s): Geral I. McDonald; John W. Hanna; Aaron L. Smith; Helen M. Maffei; Mee-Sook Kim; Amy L. Ross-Davis; Ned B. Klopfenstein
Source: In: Fairweather, Mary Lou; Palacios, Patsy, comps. Proceedings of the 58th Annual Western International Forest Disease Work Conference; 2010 October 4-8; Valemount, BC. Flagstaff, AZ: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, AZ Zone Forest Health. p. 135-138.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (517.13 KB)
DescriptionAs part of a larger effort to assess the distribution and ecology of Armillaria species throughout western North America, we present preliminary survey results for the East Cascades of Oregon. Surveys and sampling were conducted on 260 0.04-ha plots, which were randomly located across diverse environments and geographic locations. Using DNA-based techniques for the identification of Armillaria spp., we identified three genetically-distinct species groups that comprised the ca. 450+ Armillaria samples. The association of Armillaria species groups with habitat is summarized based on detailed vegetation data. When we understand habitats in which Armillaria species can potentially occur, forest management prescriptions can be developed to improve forest health at the stand level by reducing impacts of Armillaria root disease. These data also provide critical baseline information for evaluating larger-scale impacts in forest ecosystems as trees are subjected to climate-change induced stress.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcDonald, Geral I.; Hanna, John W.; Smith, Aaron L.; Maffei, Helen M.; Kim, Mee-Sook; Ross-Davis, Amy L.; Klopfenstein, Ned B. 2011. Preliminary report on the ecology of Armillaria in the East Cascades of Oregon. In: Fairweather, Mary Lou; Palacios, Patsy, comps. Proceedings of the 58th Annual Western International Forest Disease Work Conference; 2010 October 4-8; Valemount, BC. Flagstaff, AZ: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, AZ Zone Forest Health. p. 135-138.
KeywordsArmillaria, distribution, ecology
- Survey of Armillaria spp. in the Oregon East Cascades: Baseline data for predicting climatic influences on Armillaria root disease
- Climate-based species distribution models for Armillaria solidipes in Wyoming: A preliminary assessment
Bioclimatic models estimate areas with suitable climate for Armillaria spp. in Wyoming
XML: View XML